Displaying items by tag: Greater St Louis Area
Water Quality and Veterinary Technician
Department: Life Sciences
- This position will perform a variety of duties related to the care and wellbeing of the Aquarium animals including water quality testing. Primarily responsible for disease prevention, preforming disease and injury treatments, and monitoring collection health, as well as the overall monitoring and reporting of health and behaviour. These observations may include sick animals, safety hazards, maintenance problems or treatment of animals. This position will also be responsible for the overall management and records of water quality analysis throughout the Aquarium.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Undertake daily operations within the Life Sciences Department to ensure highest level of safety, courtesy, education, efficiency and operational readiness at all times.
- Maintain positive representation to professional agencies, institutions and various committees.
- Compliance with health and safety standards in accordance with local municipality, state and federal rules and regulations.
- Routinely assist with all aspects of preventative and emergency exams, anesthesia monitoring, radiology, ultrasonography, endoscopy, surgery and dental work.
- Perform a full range of veterinary technician skills including, phlebotomy, gavage feeding, fluid therapy, restraint and other supportive care treatments.
- Operate on typical veterinary equipment such as x-ray, autoclave, diagnostic machinery, microscopes, blood chemistry machinery, gas anesthesia machinery and laser therapy equipment.
- Perform calculations involving dilutions and dosages.
- Dispense and administer medications as prescribed by a veterinarian.
- Maintain medical packs, perform routine equipment maintenance tasks, and assist in the upkeep of the medical supply inventories.
- Assist with necropsies, including the collection and preparation of tissues for histopathologic evaluation.
- Obtain various samples from Aquarium animals and prepare them for diagnostic laboratory testing, such as skin scrapes/gill clips, fecal analysis, hematology, cytology, parasitology, urinalysis, and microbiology.
- Collaborate with team members in organizing, prioritizing, and delegating various animal health tasks.
- Communicate courteously and effectively with all Life Science staff regarding animal medical related information and treatments.
- Perform duties in order to reduce loss/waste, control costs and accurately communicate expenses.
- Maintain up-to-date electronic records on animal health, water quality, system maintenance, system checks, and stock reports.
- Compliance of all policy and procedure documents.
- Assist in emergency situations to minimize damage, loss or injury to guests, team members, animals or company property.
- In collaboration with Guest Experience Department and the Aquarium Foundation, ensure exhibits and programs engage, educate and entertain diverse audiences.
- Work closely with the Aquarium Foundation to ensure volunteers and educators provide exemplary guest service and engagement.
- Perform daily dive requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience, Skills & Qualifications:
- One year + experience with animal husbandry required.
- PADI Rescue Diver or equivalent preferred.
- First Aid, O2, and AED certified preferred.
- Degree in wildlife/marine biology or relevant work experience required.
- Experienced vet and water quality tech with a strong background in fresh and saltwater aquariums, reptiles, amphibians, birds or small mammals required.
- Competency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong listening, presentation and decision-making skills.
Veterinary Specialty Services
1021 Howard George Dr
Manchester, MO 63021
Veterinary Specialty Services provides advanced specialized care for animals, collaborating with veterinarians throughout the St. Louis area, and beyond. We are a 24-hour specialty and emergency hospital committed to providing excellent, advanced care. Our state-of-the-art facility is fully equipped with advanced diagnostic equipment. We are looking to add talented experienced veterinary technicians to our team. We have both full time and part time openings available at our main location in Manchester, MO.
Responsibilities and Duties
Our ICU/ER specialty technicians work four 10 hour shifts per week. We are currently hiring for our 2:00pm - 12:00am shift (shift differential applies for weekend shifts). We offer a consistent set schedule each week and the flexibility to trade shifts.
Responsibilities - include but are not limited to:
- Provide nursing care to critically ill hospitalized patients in conjunction with specialty and emergency veterinarians. Triage patients presenting on emergency, assist with diagnostics and treatments of emergency patients.
- Provide restraint of patients to assist with exams and patient care
- Obtain blood samples, place IV catheters, set up and continuous care for critical hospitalized patients.
- Post-op patient recovery monitoring
- Observe patients and recognize subtle changes in status
- Perform physical exams on veterinary patients including obtaining vitals (TPRs, CRTs etc.)
- Properly perform medical treatments on hospitalized patients including administering PO, IM, Sub Q and IV medications
- Check in a clients after hours, enter charges, process payments, retrieve previous medical history
- Perform drug calculations including CRI calculations and calculate fluid rates.
Qualifications and Skills
- Two years of previous veterinary technician experience
- Experience at a Specialty Veterinary Hospital or Emergency Hospital is preferred.
- Completion of an accredited Veterinary Technology Program and current RVT license is preferred.
- Highly motivated, team players, with a positive attitude. Additionally, you must be able to work efficiently, with an emphasis on multi-tasking and prioritization, and be able to thrive in a fast paced environment.
Compensation is based on experience and skill level.
Opportunities for Advancement:
There are multiple opportunities for advancement to different veterinary technician and leadership roles throughout the hospital as you gain knowledge and look to advance your career. We work hard to provide employee development, additional education and support for our team.
Experience: Veterinary Technician: 1 year (Preferred)
Education: Associate (Preferred)
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Other types of insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Gym memberships or discounts
- Employee discounts
- Flexible schedules
- Workplace perks such as food/coffee and flexible work schedules
Overtime often available: Yes