Displaying items by tag: technician
Sunday, 29 December 2019 22:49
Water Quality and Veterinary Technician
Department: Life Sciences
- This position will perform a variety of duties related to the care and wellbeing of the Aquarium animals including water quality testing. Primarily responsible for disease prevention, preforming disease and injury treatments, and monitoring collection health, as well as the overall monitoring and reporting of health and behaviour. These observations may include sick animals, safety hazards, maintenance problems or treatment of animals. This position will also be responsible for the overall management and records of water quality analysis throughout the Aquarium.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Undertake daily operations within the Life Sciences Department to ensure highest level of safety, courtesy, education, efficiency and operational readiness at all times.
- Maintain positive representation to professional agencies, institutions and various committees.
- Compliance with health and safety standards in accordance with local municipality, state and federal rules and regulations.
- Routinely assist with all aspects of preventative and emergency exams, anesthesia monitoring, radiology, ultrasonography, endoscopy, surgery and dental work.
- Perform a full range of veterinary technician skills including, phlebotomy, gavage feeding, fluid therapy, restraint and other supportive care treatments.
- Operate on typical veterinary equipment such as x-ray, autoclave, diagnostic machinery, microscopes, blood chemistry machinery, gas anesthesia machinery and laser therapy equipment.
- Perform calculations involving dilutions and dosages.
- Dispense and administer medications as prescribed by a veterinarian.
- Maintain medical packs, perform routine equipment maintenance tasks, and assist in the upkeep of the medical supply inventories.
- Assist with necropsies, including the collection and preparation of tissues for histopathologic evaluation.
- Obtain various samples from Aquarium animals and prepare them for diagnostic laboratory testing, such as skin scrapes/gill clips, fecal analysis, hematology, cytology, parasitology, urinalysis, and microbiology.
- Collaborate with team members in organizing, prioritizing, and delegating various animal health tasks.
- Communicate courteously and effectively with all Life Science staff regarding animal medical related information and treatments.
- Perform duties in order to reduce loss/waste, control costs and accurately communicate expenses.
- Maintain up-to-date electronic records on animal health, water quality, system maintenance, system checks, and stock reports.
- Compliance of all policy and procedure documents.
- Assist in emergency situations to minimize damage, loss or injury to guests, team members, animals or company property.
- In collaboration with Guest Experience Department and the Aquarium Foundation, ensure exhibits and programs engage, educate and entertain diverse audiences.
- Work closely with the Aquarium Foundation to ensure volunteers and educators provide exemplary guest service and engagement.
- Perform daily dive requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience, Skills & Qualifications:
- One year + experience with animal husbandry required.
- PADI Rescue Diver or equivalent preferred.
- First Aid, O2, and AED certified preferred.
- Degree in wildlife/marine biology or relevant work experience required.
- Experienced vet and water quality tech with a strong background in fresh and saltwater aquariums, reptiles, amphibians, birds or small mammals required.
- Competency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong listening, presentation and decision-making skills.
Published in Classified Ads