Missouri Veterinary Technicians Association's Constitution
Constitution of the Missouri Veterinary Technicians Association, Inc.
Article I - Title
Missouri Veterinary Technicians Association (herein after referred to as MOVTA)
Article II - Purpose
Section 1 – General purpose
- To provide a professional support network for veterinary technicians and veterinary technician students.
- To advocate a commitment to life-long learning through continuing education.
- To inform members of regulatory proposals that may either strengthen or weaken our profession.
- To promote public awareness of the role of the veterinary technician on the veterinary health care team.
Section 2 – Mission statement
- “The mission of the MOVTA is to represent, promote and advance the field of veterinary technology through education, legislation, and by providing superior animal care.”
Article III - Membership
Section 1 – Eligibility
- The MOVTA membership is available to both residents and non-residents of the State of Missouri, provided that they pay the appropriate membership dues and file the applicable forms established by the MOVTA Board of Directors (herein after referred to as the Board.) Members shall not be discriminated against because of nationality, race, creed, color or sex.
Section 2 – Definition
- Membership classes in this corporation shall consist of full membership, associate membership, student membership, organizational membership, and lifetime membership. Each member including organizational members shall be provided access to an electronic version of the document through email or the association’s website.
- CREDENTIALED VETERINARY TECHNICIAN (Registered Veterinary Technician-RVT, Certified Veterinary Technician-CVT, Licensed Veterinary technician-LVT) shall be defined as a person who has graduated from an AVMA accredited program in Veterinary Technology and is certified, registered, licensed or otherwise credentialed by the state, national, or provincial government.
- CERTIFIED VETERINARY ASSISANT shall be defined as a person who has been certified by the Missouri Veterinary Medical Association (MVMA).
- VETERINARY ASSISTANT shall be defined as a person who works in a veterinary practice but has not completed an AVMA accredited program in Veterinary Technology.
Section 3 - Full Membership:
- Full members shall be individuals who meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Certified, registered, or licensed by a state, national, or provincial government.
- Is a graduate of an AVMA accredited program in Veterinary Technology (or meets the requirements for licensure in the state they are licensed in)
- Full members shall enjoy all the rights and privileges of the association as provided in the bylaws.
- Full members will be allowed to attend MOVTA sponsored conferences at no charge.
Section 4 - Student Membership:
- Student members shall be individuals who are students in an AVMA accredited program in veterinary technology
- Student members have all of the rights and privileges of the association as enjoyed by all members. One student member shall be elected to sit on the executive board in an advisory capacity only. Student members shall not have the right to otherwise vote or hold an executive board position.
- The dues for student membership will be a free. Student members will be expected to pay for MOVTA sponsored conferences (reduced fee).
Section 5 - Associate Membership:
- Associate members shall be individuals interested in veterinary technology and the goals of the association.
- Associate members have all of the rights and privileges of the association as enjoyed by full members except that no associate member may vote, hold elective office or sit on the board.
Section 6 - Organizational Membership:
- Organizational members represent a business or group that has an interest in Veterinary technology and the goals of the association. Organizational members shall not be eligible to vote in Associate affairs or to serve as officers of the Association.
Section 7 – Life members:
- Life members shall be those who, by virtue of long-term membership and/or outstanding contributions to the Association, have been granted by majority vote of the Board, lifetime membership in their current class.
- Life members shall receive free membership for life by submitting annual membership forms.
- Life members have rights and privileges of their respective classes.
Section 8 - Revocation of Membership
- If, in the opinion of the board of directors, any member of the MOVTA (either full, associate, student or organizational) is believed to have participated in activities which misrepresent or undermine the profession and/or Association, said member shall be notified by writing of this belief and invited to submit his/her views or rebuttal to the board, in writing, within 14 days. No sooner than 15 days following notification of said member, a written poll will be taken of the board of directors regarding whether to revoke the membership of the member in question. A majority vote of the board of directors is necessary to initiate revocation of membership.
- A member who is convicted of violating the Missouri Veterinary Medical Practice Act or whose conduct is determined not to be in the best interest of the MOVTA, may be suspended or expelled by a two-thirds majority vote of the Board at a meeting called for such a purpose. Such members shall be notified by the President of the pending suspension or expulsion.
- Any person whose membership rights have been suspended or terminated shall have the right of appeal or reinstatement by submitting a written statement to the Board requesting consideration of a plea for reinstatement. Reinstatement requires a two-thirds majority vote of the Board present of a meeting called for that purpose.
Section 9 - Membership Dues
- Annual dues for each membership category shall be established by MOVTA board of directors.
- Annual dues shall cover a membership period from June 1 to June 31 of the following calendar year.
- All Executive Board members will be required to have their dues paid in full before assuming duties of the Board.
Article IV - The Board of Directors and their Duties
Section 1 - Board of Directors/Authority:
- The Board of Directors shall be the executive body of the MOVTA and shall have the responsibility of administering MOVTA affairs.
- The Board of Directors shall consist of 5 persons appointed by the current board.
- The Board of Directors shall organize and/or serve in an advisory capacity to continuing education programs for veterinary technicians in the state of Missouri.
- The Board of Directors shall procure and collate information to be available to the membership regarding legislation affecting veterinary technicians in the State of Missouri and the United States.
- The Board of Directors shall promote the interests of veterinary technicians through state legislation.
Section 2 - Board of Directors/Duties
- The Board of Directors' term of office shall run from May 1 to May 31 of the following calendar year.
- The Board of Directors must be full members of MOVTA.
- The Board of Directors shall have paid their dues prior to accepting office (June 1).
- The Board of Directors shall advise and assist the President.
- The Board of Directors shall determine annual dues.
- The Board of Directors shall approve all expenditures and financial statements.
- The Board of Directors shall submit a copy of any written and received correspondence to the Secretary for preservation.
- The Board of Directors shall appoint a new officer in the event of a resignation or a recall for the unexpired term.
- The Board of Directors shall ensure that only full members vote.
- The Board of Directors shall appoint committee heads.
- The Board of Directors shall appoint members to serve as representatives or liaisons to other professional organizations.
- The Board of Directors shall evaluate and update the strategic plan annually.
- The Board of Directors shall take the appropriate actions needed to implement the strategic plan.
- Outgoing members of the board shall pass on all previous responsibilities including journals, materials and books by May 1.
Section 3 - Board Composition/Length of Term
- The board of directors shall be composed of:
- President - 1 year term
- Vice-President - 1 year term
- Secretary - 2 year term, elected in odd numbered years
- Treasurer - 2 year term, elected in even numbered years
Section 4 - Automatic Succession to Higher Office
- The office of Vice-President is an elective office; at the end of the one year term of office, the Vice-President will automatically succeed to the office of President without the formality of election.
- If in the opinion of other members of the board of directors, an officer is believed to be unable to continue in an office due to poor health, nonattendance, and/or mal-performance of duties, said officer shall be notified by the board of directors in writing of this belief and invited to a hearing of his/her views or rebuttal. The hearing shall be held by a quorum of board members within one month following notification. After such a hearing, a written poll will be taken of the board of directors regarding whether to request the resignation of the officer in question. A majority vote of the board of directors is necessary to request resignation. If resignation is requested, an officer must resign. If the officer in question is unable to appear at the time designated for the initial hearing, a second hearing shall be arranged for no sooner than two weeks, and at the convenience of both the board of directors and the officer in question.
Section 6 - Resignation Procedure
- A member of the board of directors who wishes to resign shall notify the board in writing.
- In the event of a vacancy on the board of directors, the remaining board members shall vote to appoint an active member to complete the unexpired term.
- No person may be appointed to fill two vacated terms consecutively.
- In the event that the vacant position is that of the President or Treasurer, the board of directors shall hold a new election for that office after the appointee has been installed on the board.
Section 7 - Vacancy Procedures
- President: The Vice-President shall assume the duties and responsibilities of this office in addition to the duties of the office of Vice-President. At the next annual meeting, the Vice-President shall assume the office of President.
- Secretary and Treasurer: The board of directors shall appoint a substitute for the vacant position until the next annual meeting. Since such an appointee did not undergo election by the active membership, he/she may serve in the same office the following term if nominated and elected according to the constitution of the Association.
Article V - Officers and Their Duties
Section 1 - President
- The President shall enforce the MOVTA constitution.
- The President shall act as the spokesperson for the Association to the press, the public and related organizations.
- The President shall promote the Veterinary Medical profession and the Veterinary Technology profession including their relationships to public health and agriculture.
- The President shall preside over all meetings of the Association and conduct them by a formal order of business. The President shall appoint committee heads or chairs.
- The President shall oversee that the Board of Directors is informed by the Vice-President of the activities and operation of the Association.
- The President shall coordinate the agenda of the meetings.
- The President shall have the power to break any tie of a Board of Directors decision.
- The President shall serve as liaison between the Missouri Veterinary Medical Association and the Missouri Veterinary Technician Association or appoint a qualified liaison.
- The President shall prepare and submit an annual report to the general membership at the Annual Meeting.
- The President shall cooperate with the Treasurer to help develop, recommend and oversee that the Association operates within the proposed annual budget.
Section 2 – Vice-President
- The Vice-President shall preside in the absence of the President.
- The Vice-President shall be in charge of all committee heads or chairs, and shall report back their progress to the Board of Directors.
- The Vice-President shall be liaison to accredited Veterinary Technology school programs and student associations.
- The Vice-President shall audit the financial records at the end of the calendar year.
- The Vice-President shall act as liaison between the Association and other professional organizations.
- The Vice-President shall submit an annual report to the general membership at the annual meeting.
- The Vice-President shall assume the role of President at the end of the term.
Section 3 - Secretary
- The Secretary shall record the minutes of all meetings of the Board of Directors and annual general membership meetings and supply a copy for distribution to the members of the Board of Directors within two weeks following the meeting.
- The Secretary shall maintain a file of all standing committees meeting minutes for a period of not less than five (5) years.
- The Secretary shall turn over all Association records to his/her duly elected successor within one month of the completion of his/her term.
- The Secretary shall conduct the general correspondence of the Association and the Board of Directors.
- The Secretary shall send members of the Board of Directors notices of all meetings within the Association.
- The Secretary shall cooperate with the Nominating Committee to conduct the mail ballot for each year's election of officers for the Board of Directors. The Secretary shall enlist the aid of any MOVTA member to assist with distribution of information to members.
- The Secretary shall forward all business correspondence to the appropriate person(s).
- The Secretary shall send to the headquarters office of the Missouri Veterinary Medical Association within one month after final adoption, complete and up-to-date copies of all amendments of the Constitution of the Missouri Veterinary Technician Association.
Section 4 – Membership Chairperson
- The Membership Chairperson shall accept all applications for membership.
- The Membership Chairperson shall process all applications for membership.
- The Membership Chairperson shall keep the membership list updated and distribute the list to the President and Vice-President.
- The Membership Chairperson shall send all welcome letters and membership cards.
- The Membership Chairperson shall coordinate with the Treasurer all membership payments.
- The Membership Chairperson shall distribute membership renewal reminders to all current and past members as well as all registered technicians in the state of Missouri.
Section 5 - Treasurer
- The Treasurer shall keep an itemized account of all receipts and disbursements for a period of not less than five (5) years and give a written report at meetings of the Board of directors and at the annual meeting.
- The Treasurer shall submit all books of account for audit annually at least four weeks prior to the annual meeting.
- The Treasurer shall be bonded at the expense of the Association and shall be the only officer permitted to sign checks for the Association, unless incapacitated in which case the Secretary may sign checks.
- The Treasurer shall receive and be in charge of all funds of the Association, deposit such funds in a bank designated by the Board of Directors and provide for expenditure of such funds as directed by the Board of Directors.
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for submitting current lists of names and addresses of all members to the Secretary as dues and application forms are received.
- The Treasurer shall within one month after the election and installment of his/her successor; deliver all money, vouchers, books and papers of the Association held in his/her custody.
- The Treasurer shall propose a budget for each fiscal year to recommend to the Board of Directors.
- The Treasurer shall maintain 5013C status.
- The Treasurer shall manage the MOVTA PayPal account.
Article VII - Student Representatives
- Each AVMA accredited Veterinary Technology program in the state of Missouri is eligible to appoint one student to act as a representative to MOVTA.
- The Student Representative shall act as liaison between MOVTA and other students in their veterinary technology programs.
- The Student Representative shall submit information for the MOVTA Newsletter on a regular basis while they are in office.
- The Student Representative may attend all MOVTA meetings and participate in discussion, but may not vote.
Article VIII - Meetings
Section 1 - Board of Directors
- The Board of Directors shall hold at least 4 meetings per year. Members of the Board of Directors are required to attend at least 3 out of 4 meetings.
Section 2 - Annual Meeting
- MOVTA shall hold an annual meeting during the Missouri Veterinary Medical Association Conference in January.
Section 3 - Special Meeting
- Special meetings of this Association may be called by: (a) the President with the knowledge and consent of the rest of the Board of Directors: (b) written petition to the President of 50% of the full members.
Section 4 - Quorum
- A quorum for items published on the agenda for any regular or special meeting shall consist of a simple majority of the full members in attendance at said meeting.
Article IX - Committees
Section 1 - Authorization
- The Association shall have such standing committees as may be specified in the Constitution of the Association, and such Ad Hoc Committees as may be specified from time to time by the Board of Directors.
- The Vice-President with the advice of the Board of Directors shall regularly appoint the Chairpersons of the Committees except as otherwise provided in the Constitution of the Association.
- Committees and Committee chairs have the freedom to delegate tasks as needed.
- Standing committees may be modified by the Board.
- All actions of the standing committees are subject to the approval of the MOVTA Board
- Committee activities shall be planned and budgeted for annually and submitted to the Board.
- Committees shall hold at least one meeting during the year and shall submit an annual report to the executive Board prior to January 1 each year.
- Reports of current committee activity shall be made at regularly scheduled Board meetings as necessary.
- Committee Chairpersons shall notify the Board for aid in scheduling meetings,notifying committee members, and conducting committee work.
Section 2 - Meetings
- Meetings of said committees shall be called by the chairperson of each committee. All committee members and the Vice-President shall be informed of the meeting prior to the meeting date.
Article X - Amendments
Section 1 - Presentation
- Amendments to the Constitution of MOVTA may be proposed by written petition signed by 5 full members and submitted to the Board of Directors.
- The Board of Directors shall ensure that copies of the proposed amendments are distributed to voting members within 120 days of receipt of the proposal and at least 30 days prior to the vote on the amendment.
Section 2 - Passage
- The Constitution may be amended at the Annual or Special meeting by a two-thirds vote of the Active members of the voting body present and voting.
Section 3 - Adoption
- Approved amendments will be formerly adopted at the meeting at which they were passed, and will become effective at the close of said meeting unless otherwise stipulated in the amendment.